Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tonight...

...I paint Indians. I also read, or re-read, rather, Eric Baus' Tuned Droves. Why? Because I'm curious as to the structure of the book. The first section, per my first reading, functions in one of three ways: either its like the slo-mo demo of a game you're just learning, or it's like the first 10 min. of a Lord of the Rings movie where you're allowed to become acclimated to the major plot points, or its the first moments with a friend you haven't seen in a few years. In other words, that section reads a little easy, a little open, and at times, even a little awkward...like trying to find your way back in, you know? Most likely I'm projecting a few different personal relationships into this particular reading whether it be my relationship with Baus, with his work, or with The Lord of the Rings, but any which way, this is one of the best poetic overtures I've ever read, especially considering how perfectly it sets up the rest of the text.

More later. Both on the Indian front and on the Baus front...

No comments: