Friday, January 16, 2009

B.O. v. B.O.



Okay, so this is a trite observation, but I think one still worth making...Black Ocean is the Barack Obama of the poetry world. From the restoration of idealism and hope, to their respective grassroots movements, to their radial logos, one can't help but place their literary dreams alongside those of the editors of Black Ocean. Where most publishers of poetry seem content in selling only to other poets, Black Ocean is going out an introducing themselves to a larger populace. Through the use of parties, movie marathons and other seemingly non-literary events, BO is building interest in their brand and not just their poetry. Obama did this well too, by not becoming the face of the democratic party and its politics, but by becoming the face of Barack Obama. I am interested in anything Black Ocean does and its not because I'm a poet, it's because I think they're fucking cool and I want to be part of it, and I will be, especially when I have these books to look forward to:

Scape by Joshua Harmon (Spring 2009)

With Deer by Aase Berg / trans. by Johannes Göransson (Spring 2009)

Scary No Scary by Zachary Schomburg (Summer 2009)

Objects For A Fog Death by Julie Doxsee (Winter 2009)

Pigafetta Is My Wife by Joe Hall (Spring 2010)


I'm not the first person to rave about this press and I won't be the last, and chances are you already own at least one of their books, so you should go and buy more: http://www.blackocean.org/

No comments: