Monday, February 11, 2008

The only video I've found from Steal This Reading (so far)

Okay, so having this as the only moving picture document isn't exactly a travesty as Julie Doxsee's poetry is pretty amazing, that and she crushes tin cans just by entering the room (as witnessed by me and my tin can friends). I just wish there were more...if anyone has clips of Graham Foust's or Zach Schomburg's reading, please send them my way. Regardless, there is this...


Julie Doxsee at Steal This Reading from Octopus Books on Vimeo.

And I also wanted to share with you a poem by Sommer Browning I read in Black Ocean's "Handsome" mag. This poem is awesome for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is its stance on the disappearance of art from our everyday. Not because someone is taking it from us, but because we are so willing to let it go, so willing to celebrate kiosk banking. I bank from kiosks. Kiosks built into beautiful old brick buildings that will be lucky to ever recover.

I don't know the rules on putting this here, but what the hell...

PAY-PER-VIEW DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

Some of you will never go to Long Island. Some of you will but will never go to Walt Whitman Mall. Some of you will enter Walt Whitman Mall and head straight for Foot Locker. So let me tell you about the facade of Walt Whitman Mall, how it's carved with passages from Leaves of Grass, how the blocky Emigrant Savings Bank sign is bolted to the poem. A child said what is the grass? Fetching it Emigrant Savings Bank to me with full hands. How could I answer Get more money for your money the child? ...I do not know what it is any more than he.

Tell me that doesn't kick ass!

No comments: