Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Is it possible to express lament & beg at the same time?


I bought this last night...you should too. Odds are, if you are reading this, that you are a member of the so-called "poetry community," as such, you should also know that we are entirely self-propagated and self-funded. What this means is, if you don't buy poetry, there will be no poetry. Publishing has become a labor of love. Festivals have become a labor of love. Readings have become a labor of love... Nobody turns a profit on this shit, all they (we) can hope for is sell enough shit to make more shit...

Which reminds me:

This gripe is coin-like. I have been to a shit-ton of readings since moving to Chicago. I have read at a big fat goose egg in that same time. I love listening to others read, but I miss reading. There was a time when I read three, four times a year. I hosted a series of readings. I read in other towns. I even gave a "senior recital" in a large theatre...that I almost filled up. Performance is one of the cogs of poetry, a necessary part of the whole. My poetry feels less whole lately. But I also must admit to the desire of stand of front of people. So its one part for my poems, one part just for me. Well, maybe two parts for me and smaller part for my poems. Plus, it only seems fair that I either put up or shut up. I've bagged on enough readings that others deserve the opportunity to bag on me...

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

I have no desire to stand in front of people. I have an awful voice for reading. Admittedly, a lot of poets' reading voices annoy me just as much. It takes practice, and I really admire those who get it just-right.