Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday Night Slapdown: Bredle vs. Tynes


I was poking around Bredlemania last week and discovered that there was more Bredle to mania over. "Pain Fantasy" is available at Red Morning Press, and if one book just isn't enough, than I have good news...you can buy two for twenty dollars. I did, and boy was it great. There really is nothing quite like convincing yourself that spending more money is just like saving money. That said, I also bought Jen Tynes' "The End of Rude Handles."

Though I'm not overly familiar with Tynes' work, I did really enjoy her collaborative chapbook from Octopus with Erika Howsare, and I also think quite highly of their press, horseless. At first glance, Tynes' poems seem to capture the feeling of being lost, well, not lost, but...like walking into your parent's house in the dark. You know where everything is, you just have to stop and think about it a bit. This same comfortable obtuseness is what makes these poems so enjoyable to read. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to reading the whole book.

In other news, I got an acceptance from The Concher over the weekend. It's a neat little journal from Ryan Flaherty and his partner Katie (whose last name escapes me at this moment) and their Two Poet Truffles outfit. I'll let you know when it comes out, and give you a full list of reasons to buy it that will both begin and end with, "because I'm in it."

Also, I've begun writing poems based in the world of Oregon Trail...watch out!

Check the post below this one to hear my dog snoring...it's like sleeping in a hotel room with my dad. I recorded it just to prove to her that she does snore (she never believed it before!), and then just to add an extra dash of embarrassment, I threw it up here.

No comments: