Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Joshua Beckman...


...read last night at the New Wave Cafe here in Chicago. It was really pretty rad. The place was packed, phones were ringing, machines were machining and at one point JB mentioned that he felt more like he was on the set of a "coffee shop" than an actual coffee shop..."or maybe a brain," he said. This was the third or fourth time I've seen him read, but the first I've gotten the chance to chat with him for few minutes afterwards (I gave him a copy of the JMW/LBP chapbook, I hope he likes it).
JB's new book, Take it, totally kicks ass and for me is a kind of return to the Beckman that I fell in love with in, Your Time Has Come...equally reliant on both image and language, those devices build each other up, rather than stand in opposition to one another. I honestly wasn't going to buy this book, but after the reading I felt as though I had no choice...best 10 bones I'll spend this week, unless I end up going to the Empty Bottle on Friday to see Noah and the Whale, in which case it will easily be a toss up.

1 comment:

Joseph P. said...

He is an editor at Wave Books and has translated numerous works of poetry and prose, including 5 Meters of Poems by Carlos Oquendo de Amat and Poker by Tomaz Salamun, which was a finalist for the PEN America Poetry in Translation Award.


Kitchen Benchtops