Wednesday, July 30, 2008


Perhaps you can help me with this: Last night I dreamt that Joshua Beckman was reading collaborative poems with my wife/partner, Anne. They were reading in a factory that produced pirated CD's, some with passable cover art, most with just the titles written in black Sharpie. Specifically, there were scads of copies of a Radiohead record named, "saskatchewan." The poem Anne and Joshua were reading sounded like an old vaudeville bit and had a lot to do with docks and docking. Suddenly, I realized I needed to go to the bathroom. I found a toilet close by in an opposite corner of this same room, sat down on it and peed into a hole on the floor about 4 feet away. I then began to get really embarrassed as I realized I was also peeing on a stack of my favorite books that weren't my books at all, but belonged to either Joshua, Anne, or Johnny Greenwood who showed up just then working the pizza window that grew out of stacks of CD's. But the most terrifying bit of this dream is that I couldn't, for the life of me, stop peeing...and that's when I woke up and ran to my real bathroom.

In other poetry related news: Fellow former-Iowan, current Chicagoan, Brandi Homan's brand new book, "Hard Reds," is officially for sale, though not officially released. Buy it here.

Secondly, go and listen, completely free of charge, to Rebecca Stoddard read from Eric Baus' forthcoming book, "Tuned Droves." You can do just that here.

Lastly, we all need to celebrate the greatness that is Coconut 13. See these poets' poems: Rae Armantrout, David Lehman, Ariana Reines, Teresa K. Miller, Kate Colby, Carrie Olivia Adams, James Belflower, Anne Marie Rooney, Kristi Maxwell, Jason Zuzga, Megan Kaminski, Christopher Higgs, Nellie Haack, Claire Donato, Ravi Shankar, Emily Anderson, Laynie Browne, Jonathan Doherty, Kathleen Jesme, Matina Stamatakis, Mike Young, and Terence Winch, here.

No comments: